Practical information to identify and manage non-native, invasive plants and animals
The Quiet Invasion:
A Guide to Invasive Species of the Galveston Bay Area
Managing Invasives
The most cost effective way to control the spread of invasive species, is to prevent their introduction.

Two regulatory agencies, the Texas Department of Agriculture (TDA) and the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD), maintain lists of prohibited exotic species for the State of Texas. Exotic species listed as prohibited by the agencies cannot be imported, sold, or possessed by individuals without a permit from the agency. Violations are punishable as a Class C misdemeanor and can be reported to a local TPWD law enforcement office.

Not all of the species included in this web-based field guide are prohibited in the State of Texas, but those that are prohibited are identified as such.

Additional information regarding species listed as prohibited by state and federal agencies can be found at:
Invasive plant and animal species that are already established on public or private lands or in surface waters can be controlled with a number of methods.

Control techniques such as physical removal of the plant or animal can be labor intensive and costly depending upon the extent of the invasion and the area of land or water that require attention.

Control techniques such as the use of fire, chemicals, and biological control agents can be dangerous to humans and the environment and may require special authorizations and the expertise of a permitted professional.

An expert in the control of invasive species should be consulted before applying invasive species control techniques.

To report the sale, transport, or possession of listed prohibited species, contact the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, Law Enforcement Division:
La Marque Office
14037 Delany Road
La Marque, Texas 77568
Phone: (409) 933-1947

La Porte Communications Office
117 East Avenue A
La Porte, TX 77571
Phone: (281) 842-8100
North Houston Office
350 N Sam Houston Parkway East, Suite 100
Houston, TX 77060
Phone: (281) 931-6471

South Houston Office
10101 Southwest Freeway, Suite 206
Houston, TX 77074
Phone: (713) 779-8977

To report new aquatic, invasive species found in the wild, contact the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, Dickinson Marine Laboratory:
1502 FM 517 E
Dickinson, Texas 77539
Phone: (281) 534-0100

To report a new terrestrial, invasive plant or pest species or to inquire about control techniques, contact Texas AgriLife Extension:
Chambers County
295 Whites Memorial Park Drive
Anahuac, TX 77514
Phone: (409) 374-2123

Harris County
3033 Bear Creek Drive
Houston, TX 77084
Phone: (281) 855-5600
Brazoria County
21017 County Road 171
Angleton, TX 77515
Phone: (979) 864-1558

Galveston County
5115 Highway 3
Dickinson, TX 77539
Phone: (281) 534-3413

Liberty County
2103 Cos Street
Liberty, TX 77575
Phone: (936) 336-4558

To report forest pests, contact the Texas Forest Service, Conroe Field Office:
W.G. Jones State Forest
1328 FM 1488
Conroe, TX 77384
Phone: (936) 273-2261
Page Updated/Reviewed: 08/31/2010 8:17 AM